City of Darebin
Resident workers - Field of qualification
There are more resident workers (Wholesale Trade) qualified in Management and Commerce in the City of Darebin than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among the City of Darebin's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in the City of Darebin or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of the City of Darebin, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|City of Darebin||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 to 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||73||4.0||2.6||77||3.1||2.0||-4||30000||P|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||208||11.5||13.7||267||10.6||12.4||-59||50000||P|
|Architecture and Building||30||1.7||1.9||26||1.0||1.6||+4||60000||P|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||12||0.7||1.7||20||0.8||1.7||-8||70000||P|
|Management and Commerce||364||20.2||21.5||433||17.2||18.0||-69||91000||P|
|Society and Culture||110||6.1||3.7||110||4.4||3.2||0||92000||P|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||54||3.0||2.6||79||3.1||2.8||-25||94000||P|
|Mixed Field Programmes||0||0.0||0.1||0||0.0||0.0||0||95000||P|
|Not stated or inadequately described||42||2.3||2.3||105||4.2||3.4||-63||96000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the field of qualifications in the City of Darebin shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) were qualified in were:
- Management and Commerce (364 people or 20.2%)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (208 people or 11.5%)
- Creative Arts (129 people or 7.1%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 701 people in total or 38.8% of the resident workers (Wholesale Trade).
In comparison, Victoria employed 21.5% in Management and Commerce; 13.7% in Engineering and Related Technologies; and 3.1% in Creative Arts.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) of the City of Darebin and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Wholesale Trade) qualified in Creative Arts (7.1% compared to 3.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Wholesale Trade) qualified in Society and Culture (6.1% compared to 3.7%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Wholesale Trade) qualified in Natural and Physical Sciences (4.0% compared to 2.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Wholesale Trade) qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies (11.5% compared to 13.7%)
The number of resident workers (Wholesale Trade) in the City of Darebin decreased by 712 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) between 2011 and 2016 in the City of Darebin were for those qualified in:
- Management and Commerce (-69 people)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (-59 people)