41.0% of the resident workers (All industries) in the City of Darebin work 40 or more hours, compared to 62.0% in Victoria.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for City of Darebin's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in City of Darebin depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Darebin - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Construction%||Number||%||Construction%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||8,174||11.6||5.1||6,759||10.6||4.8||+1,415|
|16 hours - 24 hours||8,019||11.4||6.1||6,740||10.6||5.8||+1,279|
|25 hours - 34 hours||8,230||11.7||8.0||6,692||10.5||7.3||+1,538|
|35 hours - 39 hours||13,594||19.3||15.1||12,377||19.4||14.9||+1,217|
|41 hours - 48 hours||6,510||9.3||11.5||6,576||10.3||11.8||-66|
|49 hours or more||8,469||12.0||19.4||8,075||12.7||18.9||+394|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Darebin's resident workers in 2016 compared to Construction shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 37.7% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 60.4% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 21.3% and 77.1% respectively for Construction.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of the City of Darebin and the Construction workforce were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (11.6% compared to 5.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (11.4% compared to 6.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (19.7% compared to 31.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (12.0% compared to 19.4%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Darebin increased by 2781 people (7.0%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in the City of Darebin between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+1,538 persons)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+1,415 persons)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+1,279 persons)
- 40 hours (+1,236 persons)