City of Darebin
Resident workers - Hours worked
51.9% of the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) in the City of Darebin work 40 or more hours, compared to 53.8% in Victoria.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the City of Darebin's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the City of Darebin depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Darebin||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||104||5.8||5.9||131||5.2||5.7||-27||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||143||8.0||6.6||208||8.2||6.4||-65||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||137||7.6||7.1||194||7.6||7.1||-57||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||420||23.4||23.4||525||20.7||20.8||-105||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||218||12.1||12.4||323||12.7||13.1||-105||22007|
|49 hours or more||271||15.1||16.1||405||16.0||18.1||-134||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Darebin's resident workers (Wholesale Trade) in 2016 compared to Victoria shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 23.5% of the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 75.3% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 22.1% and 77.2% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) of the City of Darebin and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Wholesale Trade) worked 16 hours - 24 hours (8.0% compared to 6.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Wholesale Trade) worked 49 hours or more (15.1% compared to 16.1%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Darebin decreased by 553 people (29.0%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) in the City of Darebin between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 40 hours (-209 people)
- 49 hours or more (-134 people)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (-105 people)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-105 people)