51.9% of the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) in the City of Darebin work 40 or more hours, compared to 53.8% in Victoria.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for City of Darebin's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in City of Darebin depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Darebin - Wholesale Trade||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||104||5.8||5.9||131||5.2||5.7||-27|
|16 hours - 24 hours||143||8.0||6.6||208||8.2||6.4||-65|
|25 hours - 34 hours||137||7.6||7.1||194||7.6||7.1||-57|
|35 hours - 39 hours||420||23.4||23.4||525||20.7||20.8||-105|
|41 hours - 48 hours||218||12.1||12.4||323||12.7||13.1||-105|
|49 hours or more||271||15.1||16.1||405||16.0||18.1||-134|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Darebin's resident workers in 2016 compared to Victoria shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 23.5% of the resident workers in Wholesale Trade worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 75.3% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 22.1% and 77.2% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) of the City of Darebin and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (8.0% compared to 6.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (7.6% compared to 7.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (24.7% compared to 25.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (15.1% compared to 16.1%)
The number of the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Darebin decreased by 553 people (-29.0%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) in the City of Darebin between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 40 hours (-209 persons)
- 49 hours or more (-134 persons)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-105 persons)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (-105 persons)