City of Darebin
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers professionals in the City of Darebin than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of City of Darebin's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|City of Darebin||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||7,756||11.0||13.1||7,648||12.0||13.9||+108||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||7,344||10.4||10.6||5,935||9.3||9.3||+1,409||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||9,132||13.0||13.3||9,369||14.7||14.4||-237||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||2,848||4.1||5.8||3,158||4.9||6.1||-310||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,144||1.6||1.7||1,573||2.5||2.2||-429||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in City of Darebin in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (21,580 people or 30.7%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (9,132 people or 13.0%)
- Managers (8,776 people or 12.5%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 39,488 people in total or 56.2% of the resident workers .
In comparison, Victoria employed 23.3% in Professionals; 13.3% in Clerical and Administrative Workers; and 13.5% in Managers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers of the City of Darebin and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers employed as Professionals (30.7% compared to 23.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (11.0% compared to 13.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (4.1% compared to 5.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers employed as Labourers (7.7% compared to 9.0%)
The number of people in the resident workers ] in City of Darebin increased by 6,496 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the City of Darebin were for those employed as:
- Professionals (+3,243 people)
- Managers (+1,509 people)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+1,409 people)
- Sales Workers (+750 people)