City of Darebin
Resident workers - Method of travel to work
The resident workers in the City of Darebin have a higher proportion of people using public transport to get to work than Construction.
Maximising access to employment is a key objective in any economic development strategy. Understanding the modes of transport the City of Darebin's local resident workers use (either within or outside the local area), informs decision-makers about the effectiveness of transport modes, routes and availability of local public transport.
There are a number of reasons why people use different Modes of Transport to get to work including:
- The availability of affordable and effective public transport options between place of residence and place of work;
- The number of motor vehicles available within a household; and
- The travel distance to work, which for example, can allow people to walk or bicycle to their place of employment.
Method of Travel to Work data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work and for a clearer picture of where working residents are employed.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by place of work
|Resident workers method of travel to work|
|City of Darebin||2016||2011||Change|
|Main method of travel||Number||%||Construction %||Number||%||Construction %||2011 to 2016|
|Car, as driver||35,039||49.8||73.9||32,015||50.2||71.2||+3,024||2001|
|Car, as passenger||2,213||3.1||3.7||2,380||3.7||5.5||-167||2002|
|Other - multiple methods||1,012||1.4||1.6||891||1.4||1.2||+121||2017|
|Worked at home||2,553||3.6||2.7||1,906||3.0||3.0||+647||2019|
|Did not go to work||6,365||9.1||3.7||6,605||10.4||5.1||-240||2020|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
In 2016, there were 13,246 resident workers who caught public transport to work (train, bus, tram or ferry) in City of Darebin, compared with 41,055 who drove in private vehicles (car – as driver, car – as passenger, motorbike, or truck).
Analysis of the method of travel to work of the resident workers in the City of Darebin shows that 18.8% used public transport, while 58.4% used a private vehicle, compared with 7.1% and 81.5% respectively in Construction.
The major differences between the method of travel to work of the resident workers of the City of Darebin and Construction were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers travelled to work by Train (16.6% compared to 6.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers travelled to work by Did not go to work (9.1% compared to 3.7%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers travelled to work by Tram (5.0% compared to 1.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers travelled to work by Car, as driver (49.8% compared to 73.9%)
The largest changes in the method of travel of work of the resident workers in the City of Darebin between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Car, as driver (+3,024 people)
- Train (+2,609 people)
- Worked at home (+647 people)
- Bicycle (+486 people)