41.2% of All industries local workers in the City of Darebin are employed part-time and 56.7% are employed full-time.
Hours Worked statistics shows the distribution of employment hours in the City of Darebin across each industry sector. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in a particular industry depend on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work in the industry;
- The demands of jobs in the industry and requirement to work overtime;
- The age and family responsibilities of people working in the industry; and
- The gender profile of workers in the industry (due to family commitments, females are often more likely to work part-time).
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers hours worked, 2016|
|City of Darebin - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||6,832||14.3||12.0||5,720||13.0||11.5||+1,112|
|16 hours - 24 hours||5,702||12.0||10.5||4,720||10.7||9.8||+982|
|25 hours - 34 hours||5,680||11.9||11.2||4,985||11.3||10.3||+695|
|35 hours - 39 hours||9,579||20.1||18.7||8,478||19.3||17.8||+1,101|
|41 hours - 48 hours||3,871||8.1||9.2||3,922||8.9||10.4||-51|
|49 hours or more||5,295||11.1||13.6||5,537||12.6||15.3||-242|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the workforce in the City of Darebin in 2016 compared to Victoria within the City of Darebin shows that there was a higher proportion who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion who worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 41.2% of the workforce worked part-time (34 hours or less) , and 56.7% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 37.0% and 61.0% respectively for Victoria within the City of Darebin.
The major differences between the hours worked by the workforce in the City of Darebin and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 1 hour - 15 hours (14.3% compared to 12.0%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 16 hours - 24 hours (12.0% compared to 10.5%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 40 hours (17.4% compared to 19.5%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 49 hours or more (11.1% compared to 13.6%)
The largest changes in the hours worked by the All industries workforce in the City of Darebin between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+1,112 local workers)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+1,101 local workers)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+982 local workers)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+695 local workers)