Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|City of Darebin - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||17,038||35.7||33.3||13,197||30.0||28.6||+3,841|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||5,635||11.8||11.5||4,629||10.5||10.4||+1,006|
|Certificate I and II Level||418||0.9||1.0||394||0.9||1.1||+24|
|Certificate III & IV Level||7,373||15.5||18.1||6,946||15.8||17.9||+427|
|Certificate Level, nfd||846||1.8||1.8||690||1.6||1.5||+156|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,291||2.7||2.8||1,964||4.5||4.0||-673|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the City of Darebin in 2016 compared to Victoria shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 65.7% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 31.6% had no qualifications, compared with 65.7% and 31.6% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of the City of Darebin and Victoria were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (15.5% compared to 18.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (35.7% compared to 33.3%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (11.8% compared to 11.5%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Certificate I and II Level (0.9% compared to 1.0%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in the City of Darebin between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+3,841 local workers)
- No qualification (-1,147 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+1,006 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+427 local workers)