In the City of Darebin, the workforce has a higher proportion with University qualifications compared to Construction.
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|City of Darebin - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Construction||Number||%||Construction||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||17,038||35.7||13.5||13,197||30.0||10.1||+3,841|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||5,635||11.8||8.7||4,629||10.5||6.4||+1,006|
|Certificate I and II Level||418||0.9||0.6||394||0.9||0.3||+24|
|Certificate III & IV Level||7,373||15.5||43.0||6,946||15.8||43.2||+427|
|Certificate Level, nfd||846||1.8||1.5||690||1.6||0.8||+156|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,291||2.7||2.4||1,964||4.5||3.7||-673|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the City of Darebin in 2016 compared to Construction shows that there was a higher proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 65.7% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 31.6% had no qualifications, compared with 67.3% and 30.3% respectively for Construction.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of the City of Darebin and Construction were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (15.5% compared to 43.0%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (35.7% compared to 13.5%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (11.8% compared to 8.7%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (31.6% compared to 30.3%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in the City of Darebin between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+3,841 local workers)
- No qualification (-1,147 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+1,006 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+427 local workers)