In the City of Darebin, 23.0% of workers were Professionals, compared to 42.0% in Mining.
Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in the City of Darebin will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in the City of Darebin;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers occupations|
|City of Darebin - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Mining||Number||%||Mining||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||5,811||12.2||16.0||5,967||13.5||6.4||-156|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||6,200||13.0||0||4,835||11.0||0||+1,365|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||5,762||12.1||12.3||5,673||12.9||13.6||+89|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||2,914||6.1||0||3,045||6.9||4.3||-131|
|Inadequately described or not stated||778||1.6||3.7||1,005||2.3||0||-227|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the All industries workforce in the City of Darebin in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (10,941 local workers or 23.0%)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (6,200 local workers or 13.0%)
- Managers (5,927 local workers or 12.4%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 23,068 people in total or 48.4% of the All industries local workers.
In comparison, the Mining workforce in the City of Darebin employed 42.0% as Professionals; 0% as Community and Personal Service Workers and 25.9% as Managers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in the City of Darebin and Mining were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (23.0% compared to 42.0%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Managers (12.4% compared to 25.9%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (12.2% compared to 16.0%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Inadequately described or not stated (1.6% compared to 3.7%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the workforce in the City of Darebin between 2011 and 2016 were those employed as:
- Professionals (+1,369 local workers)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+1,365 local workers)
- Managers (+714 local workers)
- Sales Workers (+299 local workers)