City of Darebin
Local workers - Method of travel to work - All industries
Within the City of Darebin, there is a lower proportion of local All industries workers using public transport to get to work than the Victoria workforce.
This data reveals the main modes of transport used by local workers in a particular industry to get to work. Workforce transport data for the City of Darebin is very useful in transport planning as it informs decision-makers about the effectiveness and availability of public transport.
There are a number of reasons why people use different Modes of Transport to get to work including:
- The availability of affordable and effective public transport options between place of residence and place of work (For instance, industries located near railway stations are likely to have higher public transport use than those located away from main public transport routes);
- The number of motor vehicles available from within a household; and
- The travel distance to work, which for example, can allow people to walk or bicycle to their place of employment.
Method of Travel to Work data should be viewed in conjunction with Workers place of residence and resident place of work for a clearer picture of where people come from to work in the City of Darebin, and Employment locations for the Destination Zones they work in and how they arrive there.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers method of travel to work|
|City of Darebin - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Main method of travel||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 - 2016|
|Car, as driver||31,908||66.9||61.9||29,359||66.6||61.5||+2,549|
|Car, as passenger||1,913||4.0||4.0||1,863||4.2||4.6||+50|
|Other - multiple methods||482||1.0||1.2||438||1.0||1.1||+44|
|Worked at home||2,271||4.8||4.6||1,734||3.9||4.3||+537|
|Did not go to work||4,397||9.2||9.3||4,405||10.0||10.0||-8|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
In 2016, there were 3,593 people who caught public transport to work (train, bus, tram or ferry) in the City of Darebin, compared with 34,134 who drove in private vehicles (car – as driver, car – as passenger, motorbike, or truck).
Analysis of the method of travel to work in the City of Darebin in 2016 compared to the Victoria workforce within the City of Darebin shows that 7.5% used public transport, while 71.6% used a private vehicle, compared with 12.4% and 66.9% respectively in Victoria.
The major differences between the method of travel to work of the workforce in the City of Darebin and the Victoria workforce were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers who travelled by train (3.9% compared to 9.2%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who travelled by car, as driver (66.9% compared to 61.9%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who travelled by bus (2.5% compared to 1.3%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who travelled by tram (1.1% compared to 1.9%)
The largest changes in the method of travel to work of the workforce in the City of Darebin between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Car, as driver (+2,549 local workers)
- Worked at home (+537 local workers)
- Train (+425 local workers)
- Walked only (+166 local workers)