Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for City of Darwin's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in City of Darwin depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Darwin - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Northern Territory%||Number||%||Northern Territory%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||2,938||7.0||6.6||2,614||6.7||6.7||+324|
|16 hours - 24 hours||2,879||6.8||6.2||2,439||6.3||6.4||+440|
|25 hours - 34 hours||3,437||8.2||8.2||3,091||8.0||8.1||+346|
|35 hours - 39 hours||9,134||21.7||21.7||8,088||20.8||19.8||+1,046|
|41 hours - 48 hours||4,342||10.3||10.1||4,601||11.9||11.2||-259|
|49 hours or more||8,681||20.6||21.5||7,573||19.5||20.7||+1,108|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by City of Darwin's resident workers in 2016 compared to Northern Territory shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 26.0% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 71.8% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 25.3% and 72.1% respectively for Northern Territory.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of City of Darwin and Northern Territory were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked None (4.0% compared to 4.4%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (7.0% compared to 6.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (6.8% compared to 6.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (20.6% compared to 21.5%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in City of Darwin increased by 2385 people (8.6%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in City of Darwin between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (+1,108 persons)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+1,046 persons)
- 40 hours (+490 persons)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+440 persons)