Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which City of Darwin residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in City of Darwin, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in City of Darwin are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|City of Darwin - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Northern Territory||Number||%||Northern Territory||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||219||0.5||2.0||216||0.5||1.8||+3|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||690||1.6||1.6||560||1.4||1.3||+130|
|Accommodation and Food Services||3,384||8.0||6.8||2,708||6.7||5.9||+676|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||1,867||4.4||4.4||2,016||5.0||4.5||-149|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||519||1.2||1.0||551||1.4||1.0||-32|
|Financial and Insurance Services||579||1.4||1.1||692||1.7||1.2||-113|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||727||1.7||1.5||730||1.8||1.4||-3|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||2,829||6.7||5.5||2,519||6.3||4.6||+310|
|Administrative and Support Services||1,333||3.2||3.0||1,232||3.1||2.9||+101|
|Public Administration and Safety||7,688||18.3||18.1||7,994||19.9||19.8||-306|
|Education and Training||3,652||8.7||9.3||3,299||8.2||8.5||+353|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||4,766||11.3||11.1||4,161||10.3||9.5||+605|
|Arts and Recreation Services||1,013||2.4||2.1||907||2.3||2.1||+106|
|Industry not classified||1,780||4.2||4.6||580||1.4||1.9||+1,200|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in City of Darwin in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Public Administration and Safety (7,688 people or 18.3%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (4,766 people or 11.3%)
- Construction (4,122 people or 9.8%)
In combination these three industries employed 16,576 people in total or 39.4% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Northern Territory employed 18.1% in Public Administration and Safety; 11.1% in Health Care and Social Assistance and 10.1% in Construction.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of City of Darwin and Northern Territory were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (0.5% compared to 2.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Accommodation and Food Services (8.0% compared to 6.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (6.7% compared to 5.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Other Services (3.1% compared to 4.1%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in City of Darwin were for those employed in:
- Industry not classified (+1,200 resident workforce)
- Construction (+988 resident workforce)
- Accommodation and Food Services (+676 resident workforce)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+605 resident workforce)