City of Darwin
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers professionals in City of Darwin than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of City of Darwin's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|City of Darwin||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Northern Territory%||Number||%||Northern Territory%||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||6,258||14.9||15.8||5,701||14.7||15.1||+557||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||5,140||12.2||13.8||4,629||11.9||13.4||+511||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||5,816||13.8||13.7||6,113||15.8||14.7||-297||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||1,937||4.6||5.7||1,843||4.8||6.1||+94||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||835||2.0||2.5||648||1.7||2.4||+187||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in City of Darwin in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (9,898 people or 23.5%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (6,258 people or 14.9%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (5,816 people or 13.8%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 21,972 people in total or 52.2% of the resident workers .
In comparison, Northern Territory employed 20.1% in Professionals; 15.8% in Technicians and Trades Workers; and 13.7% in Clerical and Administrative Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers of City of Darwin and Northern Territory were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers employed as Professionals (23.5% compared to 20.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (12.2% compared to 13.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (4.6% compared to 5.7%)
The number of people in the resident workers ] in City of Darwin increased by 3,295 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in City of Darwin were for those employed as:
- Labourers (+799 people)
- Professionals (+765 people)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+557 people)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+511 people)