Town of East Fremantle
About the area
ABS ERP 2018
Accommodation and Food Services
East Fremantle is named for the area east of Fremantle, which was named after Charles Howe Fremantle, Captain of the HMS Challenger.
Location and boundaries
The Town of East Fremantle is located in the south-western suburbs of Perth, about 16 kilometres from the Perth GPO. The Town of East Fremantle is bounded by the Swan River in the north and west, Petra Street and the City of Melville in the east, and Marmion Street and the City of Fremantle in the south.
The Town of East Fremantle is made up entirely of the suburb of East Fremantle.
The Town of East Fremantle is an established residential area, with some commercial land use. The Town includes many heritage homes, gardens and landscapes. The Town of East Fremantle encompasses a total land area of 3 square kilometres.
The Town of East Fremantle is served by the Canning Highway and the Stirling Highway.
European settlement dates from the 1830s, with land used mainly for farming. Growth took place during the 1890s and early 1900s, spurred by the gold rush and the development of neighbouring Fremantle. The population of the City was about 3,000 in 1911, rising to 4,400 in 1921, and then to 5,200 in 1933. Steady growth took place from the post-war years, with the population rising from about 6,200 in 1947 to about 7,300 in 1971. The population declined during the 1970s and early 1980s, falling to about 5,700 in 1986. The population then rose again to about 6,400 in 1991, before declining marginally during the early 1990s, falling to 6,200 in 1996. The population increased gradually from the late 1990s, rising to nearly 6,900 people in 2011.
The original inhabitants of the East Fremantle area were the Nyoongar Aboriginal people.