Resident workers - Industry
Health Care and Social Assistance employs more of Eurobodalla Shire’s resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which Eurobodalla Shire residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in Eurobodalla Shire, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in Eurobodalla Shire are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 to 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||366||2.8||2.1||341||2.7||2.2||+25||25000||P|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||152||1.2||0.9||154||1.2||1.1||-2||28000||P|
|Accommodation and Food Services||1,410||10.9||7.1||1,446||11.5||6.7||-36||32000||P|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||450||3.5||4.7||433||3.5||4.9||+17||33000||P|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||162||1.2||2.2||185||1.5||2.3||-23||34000||P|
|Financial and Insurance Services||144||1.1||4.9||189||1.5||5.0||-45||35000||P|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||202||1.6||1.8||230||1.8||1.6||-28||36000||P|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||517||4.0||8.1||518||4.1||7.9||-1||37000||P|
|Administrative and Support Services||525||4.0||3.5||407||3.2||3.3||+118||38000||P|
|Public Administration and Safety||1,016||7.8||6.0||765||6.1||6.1||+251||39000||P|
|Education and Training||1,044||8.0||8.4||1,057||8.4||7.9||-13||40000||P|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||1,893||14.6||12.5||1,699||13.6||11.6||+194||41000||P|
|Arts and Recreation Services||227||1.7||1.5||216||1.7||1.5||+11||42000||P|
|Industry not classified||508||3.9||4.7||263||2.1||2.5||+245||44000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window)(informed decisions).
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in Eurobodalla Shire in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (1,893 people or 14.6%)
- Retail Trade (1,783 people or 13.7%)
- Accommodation and Food Services (1,410 people or 10.9%)
In combination these three industries employed 5,086 people in total or 39.2% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, New South Wales employed 12.5% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 9.7% in Retail Trade; and 7.1% in Accommodation and Food Services.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of Eurobodalla Shire and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Retail Trade (13.7% compared to 9.7%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Accommodation and Food Services (10.9% compared to 7.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (4.0% compared to 8.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Financial and Insurance Services (1.1% compared to 4.9%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in Eurobodalla Shire were for those employed in:
- Public Administration and Safety (+251 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+245 resident workforce)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+194 resident workforce)
- Manufacturing (-142 resident workforce)