Gladstone Regional Council area
About the area
ABS ERP 2017
Gladstone Regional Council is named after the British Statesman, William Gladstone, Secretary of State for the Colonies from 1845 to 1846.
Location and boundaries
The Gladstone Regional Council area is located in Central Queensland, about 550 kilometres north of the Brisbane CBD. The Gladstone Regional Council area is bounded by the Coral Sea in the north-east and east, the Bundaberg Regional Council area and the North Burnett Regional Council area in the south, the Banana Shire in the west, and the Rockhampton Regional Council area in the north-west.
The Gladstone Regional Council area includes the suburbs and localities of Agnes Water, Aldoga, Ambrose, Baffle Creek, Barney Point, Beecher, Benaraby, Berajondo, Bororen, Boyne Island, Boyne Valley, Boynedale, Bracewell, Burua, Byellee, Callemondah, Calliope, Captain Creek, Clinton, Colosseum, Curtis Island, Darts Creek, Deepwater, Diglum, East End, Euleilah, Eurimbula, Foreshores, Gindoran, Gladstone Central, Gladstone Harbour, Glen Eden, Iveragh, Kin Kora, Kirkwood, Lowmead, Machine Creek, Miriam Vale, Mount Alma, Mount Larcom, Mount Maria, Mount Tom, New Auckland, O'Connell, Oyster Creek, Raglan, River Ranch, Rodds Bay, Rosedale (part), Round Hill, Rules Beach, Seventeen Seventy, South Gladstone, South Trees, Sun Valley, Tablelands, Tannum Sands, Taragoola, Targinnie, Taunton, Telina, The Narrows, Toolooa, Turkey Beach, West Gladstone, West Stowe, Wooderson, Wurdong Heights and Yarwun.
The Gladstone Regional Council area is a growing residential area, with significant rural, rural-residential and industrial areas. The Council area encompasses a total land area of about 10,500 square kilometres, including national parks, state forests, coastline, beaches and islands. The main urban centre is Gladstone, with numerous other small townships, including Agnes Water, Benaraby, Boyne Island, Calliope, Miriam Vale, Seventeen Seventy and Tannum Sands. Major industries include an alumina refinery, an aluminium smelter, a power station, a gas plant and port facilities. Rural land is used mainly for cattle grazing, with some grain growing, fodder cropping, and timber and tropical fruit production.
The Gladstone Regional Council area is served by the Bruce Highway, the Dawson Highway, the Gladstone Benaraby Road, The Port of Gladstone, Gladstone Airport and the North Coast (Brisbane-Cairns) railway line.
European settlement dates from the mid 1850s, although there was a short-lived convict settlement in 1847. Land was used mainly for sheep and wool production, then beef cattle. Growth was minimal until the late 1800s, aided by the construction of the first wharf in 1885, the railway line from Brisbane in 1897, and the establishment of dairy farming. Significant residential development occurred from the mid 1960s, largely spurred by industrial development and the expansion of the port. More rapid growth took place from the 1970s, with growth continuing from the 1980s.
The original inhabitants of the Gladstone Regional Council area were the Baiali and Goreng goreng Aboriginal people.