Gladstone Regional Council area
Resident workers - Field of qualification
There are more resident workers (All industries) qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies in Gladstone Regional Council area than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among Gladstone Regional Council area's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in Gladstone Regional Council area or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of Gladstone Regional Council area, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|Gladstone Regional Council area - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Retail Trade||Number||%||Retail Trade||2011 - 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||282||1.0||0.4||272||1.0||0.1||+10|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||5,998||22.1||6.4||5,980||21.1||5.0||+18|
|Architecture and Building||1,289||4.8||0.9||1,415||5.0||0.6||-126|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||324||1.2||0.5||301||1.1||0.6||+23|
|Management and Commerce||2,768||10.2||11.9||2,301||8.1||8.7||+467|
|Society and Culture||1,260||4.7||2.8||941||3.3||1.9||+319|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||917||3.4||4.4||851||3.0||3.6||+66|
|Mixed Field Programmes||30||0.1||0.1||14||0.0||0.1||+16|
|Not stated or inadequately described||768||2.8||2.0||1,033||3.7||2.6||-265|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the field of qualifications in Gladstone Regional Council area shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (All industries) were qualified in were:
- Engineering and Related Technologies (5,998 people or 22.1%)
- Management and Commerce (2,768 people or 10.2%)
- Education (1,604 people or 5.9%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 10,370 people in total or 38.3% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, the Retail Trade workforce in Gladstone Regional Council area employed 6.4% in Engineering and Related Technologies; 11.9% in Management and Commerce and 1.1% in Education.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers () of Gladstone Regional Council area and the Retail Trade workforce were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies (22.1% compared to 6.4%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Education (5.9% compared to 1.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Architecture and Building (4.8% compared to 0.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Health (4.9% compared to 2.7%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in Gladstone Regional Council area decreased by 1,204 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (All industries) between 2011 and 2016 in Gladstone Regional Council area was for those qualified in:
- Management and Commerce (+467 resident workers)
- Education (+351 resident workers)
- Society and Culture (+319 resident workers)
- Not stated or inadequately described (-265 resident workers)