50.6% of the resident workers (All industries) in Gladstone Regional Council area work 40 or more hours, compared to 78.8% in Mining.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Gladstone Regional Council area's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Gladstone Regional Council area depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Gladstone Regional Council - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Mining%||Number||%||Mining%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||2,855||10.5||0.9||2,356||8.3||0.6||+499|
|16 hours - 24 hours||2,258||8.3||1.5||1,914||6.8||1.8||+344|
|25 hours - 34 hours||2,661||9.8||1.8||2,444||8.6||1.6||+217|
|35 hours - 39 hours||4,041||14.9||9.4||3,541||12.5||7.3||+500|
|41 hours - 48 hours||3,540||13.1||18.1||4,420||15.6||21.2||-880|
|49 hours or more||6,155||22.7||44.3||7,398||26.2||49.9||-1,243|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by Gladstone Regional Council area's resident workers in 2016 compared to Mining shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 32.7% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 65.5% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 9.8% and 88.2% respectively for Mining.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of Gladstone Regional Council area and the Mining workforce were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (10.5% compared to 0.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (8.3% compared to 1.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (9.8% compared to 1.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (22.7% compared to 44.3%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Gladstone Regional Council area decreased by 1889 people (-9.6%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in Gladstone Regional Council area between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-1,243 persons)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-880 persons)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+500 persons)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+499 persons)