50.6% of the resident workers (All industries) in Gladstone Regional Council area work 40 or more hours, compared to 24.2% in Victoria.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Gladstone Regional Council area's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Gladstone Regional Council area depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Gladstone Regional Council - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Retail Trade%||Number||%||Retail Trade%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||2,855||10.5||24.0||2,356||8.3||21.7||+499|
|16 hours - 24 hours||2,258||8.3||14.9||1,914||6.8||13.5||+344|
|25 hours - 34 hours||2,661||9.8||15.6||2,444||8.6||15.4||+217|
|35 hours - 39 hours||4,041||14.9||16.4||3,541||12.5||16.1||+500|
|41 hours - 48 hours||3,540||13.1||6.7||4,420||15.6||7.4||-880|
|49 hours or more||6,155||22.7||9.6||7,398||26.2||11.6||-1,243|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by Gladstone Regional Council area's resident workers in 2016 compared to Retail Trade shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 32.7% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 65.5% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 58.2% and 40.6% respectively for Retail Trade.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of Gladstone Regional Council area and the Retail Trade workforce were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (10.5% compared to 24.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (8.3% compared to 14.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (14.8% compared to 8.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (22.7% compared to 9.6%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Gladstone Regional Council area decreased by 1889 people (-9.6%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in Gladstone Regional Council area between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-1,243 persons)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-880 persons)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+500 persons)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+499 persons)