Gladstone Regional Council area
Resident workers - Hours worked
50.6% of the resident workers in Gladstone Regional Council area work 40 or more hours, compared to 24.2% in Retail Trade.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Gladstone Regional Council area's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Gladstone Regional Council area depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Gladstone Regional Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Retail Trade%||Number||%||Retail Trade%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||2,855||10.5||24.0||2,356||8.3||21.7||+499||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||2,258||8.3||14.9||1,914||6.8||13.5||+344||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||2,661||9.8||15.6||2,444||8.6||15.4||+217||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||4,041||14.9||16.4||3,541||12.5||16.1||+500||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||3,540||13.1||6.7||4,420||15.6||7.4||-880||22007|
|49 hours or more||6,155||22.7||9.6||7,398||26.2||11.6||-1,243||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by Gladstone Regional Council area's resident workers in 2016 compared to Retail Trade shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 32.7% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 65.5% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 58.2% and 40.6% respectively for Retail Trade.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of Gladstone Regional Council area and Retail Trade were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (22.7% compared to 9.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (14.8% compared to 8.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (10.5% compared to 24.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (8.3% compared to 14.9%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in Gladstone Regional Council area decreased by 1,889 people (9.6%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in Gladstone Regional Council area between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-1,243 people)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-880 people)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+500 people)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+499 people)