50.6% of the resident workers (All industries) in Gladstone Regional Council area work 40 or more hours, compared to 40.2% in Victoria.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Gladstone Regional Council area's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Gladstone Regional Council area depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Gladstone Regional Council - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Other Services%||Number||%||Other Services%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||2,855||10.5||15.8||2,356||8.3||8.8||+499|
|16 hours - 24 hours||2,258||8.3||9.0||1,914||6.8||6.4||+344|
|25 hours - 34 hours||2,661||9.8||9.7||2,444||8.6||7.3||+217|
|35 hours - 39 hours||4,041||14.9||21.2||3,541||12.5||17.2||+500|
|41 hours - 48 hours||3,540||13.1||9.6||4,420||15.6||14.4||-880|
|49 hours or more||6,155||22.7||15.5||7,398||26.2||24.1||-1,243|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by Gladstone Regional Council area's resident workers in 2016 compared to Other Services shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 32.7% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 65.5% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 37.2% and 61.4% respectively for Other Services.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of Gladstone Regional Council area and the Other Services workforce were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (10.5% compared to 15.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (14.9% compared to 21.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (13.1% compared to 9.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (22.7% compared to 15.5%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Gladstone Regional Council area decreased by 1889 people (-9.6%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in Gladstone Regional Council area between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-1,243 persons)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-880 persons)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+500 persons)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+499 persons)