Manufacturing employs more of Gladstone Regional Council area's resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which Gladstone Regional Council area residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in Gladstone Regional Council area, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in Gladstone Regional Council area are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Gladstone Regional Council area - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Regional QLD||Number||%||Regional QLD||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||511||1.9||4.7||435||1.5||4.4||+76|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||785||2.9||1.1||728||2.5||1.2||+57|
|Accommodation and Food Services||1,831||6.8||8.2||1,681||5.7||7.4||+150|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||2,207||8.2||4.5||2,175||7.3||4.5||+32|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||111||0.4||1.0||106||0.4||1.0||+5|
|Financial and Insurance Services||258||1.0||1.9||302||1.0||1.8||-44|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||471||1.7||2.0||523||1.8||1.8||-52|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||1,577||5.8||4.6||2,052||6.9||4.4||-475|
|Administrative and Support Services||838||3.1||3.5||693||2.3||2.9||+145|
|Public Administration and Safety||1,194||4.4||6.0||1,123||3.8||5.6||+71|
|Education and Training||2,149||7.9||8.8||1,769||6.0||7.2||+380|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||2,077||7.7||12.8||1,799||6.1||10.7||+278|
|Arts and Recreation Services||181||0.7||1.6||126||0.4||1.4||+55|
|Industry not classified||1,138||4.2||4.3||769||2.6||2.3||+369|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in Gladstone Regional Council area in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Manufacturing (3,685 people or 13.6%)
- Construction (2,990 people or 11.0%)
- Retail Trade (2,584 people or 9.5%)
In combination these three industries employed 9,259 people in total or 34.2% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Regional QLD employed 5.5% in Manufacturing; 9.3% in Construction and 10.3% in Retail Trade.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of Gladstone Regional Council area and Regional QLD were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Manufacturing (13.6% compared to 5.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (7.7% compared to 12.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Transport, Postal and Warehousing (8.2% compared to 4.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (1.9% compared to 4.7%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in Gladstone Regional Council area were for those employed in:
- Manufacturing (-1,134 resident workforce)
- Construction (-908 resident workforce)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (-475 resident workforce)
- Education and Training (+380 resident workforce)