Gladstone Regional Council area
Resident workers - Industry
Manufacturing employs more of Gladstone Regional Council area’s male resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which Gladstone Regional Council area residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in Gladstone Regional Council area, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in Gladstone Regional Council area are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Gladstone Regional Council area - Males||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 to 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||331||2.2||3.6||285||1.7||3.5||+46||25000||P|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||652||4.3||1.7||593||3.6||1.8||+59||28000||P|
|Accommodation and Food Services||650||4.3||6.1||529||3.2||5.4||+121||32000||P|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||1,653||10.9||7.4||1,708||10.3||7.5||-55||33000||P|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||51||0.3||1.3||38||0.2||1.3||+13||34000||P|
|Financial and Insurance Services||56||0.4||2.1||68||0.4||2.1||-12||35000||P|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||188||1.2||1.8||200||1.2||1.6||-12||36000||P|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||1,030||6.8||6.4||1,363||8.3||6.6||-333||37000||P|
|Administrative and Support Services||362||2.4||3.1||280||1.7||2.9||+82||38000||P|
|Public Administration and Safety||614||4.0||7.0||573||3.5||7.0||+41||39000||P|
|Education and Training||369||2.4||4.7||346||2.1||4.2||+23||40000||P|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||279||1.8||5.4||191||1.2||4.7||+88||41000||P|
|Arts and Recreation Services||71||0.5||1.6||45||0.3||1.3||+26||42000||P|
|Industry not classified||785||5.2||5.2||510||3.1||2.7||+275||44000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the jobs held by the male resident workforce in Gladstone Regional Council area in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Manufacturing (3,070 people or 20.2%)
- Construction (2,550 people or 16.7%)
- Transport, Postal and Warehousing (1,653 people or 10.9%)
In combination these three industries employed 7,273 people in total or 47.7% of the total male resident workforce.
In comparison, Queensland employed 8.6% in Manufacturing; 14.9% in Construction; and 7.4% in Transport, Postal and Warehousing.
The major differences between the jobs held by the male resident workforce of Gladstone Regional Council area and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of male resident workforce employed in Manufacturing (20.2% compared to 8.6%)
- A larger percentage of male resident workforce employed in Transport, Postal and Warehousing (10.9% compared to 7.4%)
- A smaller percentage of male resident workforce employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (1.8% compared to 5.4%)
- A smaller percentage of male resident workforce employed in Public Administration and Safety (4.0% compared to 7.0%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the male resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in Gladstone Regional Council area were for those employed in:
- Manufacturing (-938 male resident workforce)
- Construction (-716 male resident workforce)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (-333 male resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+275 male resident workforce)