Gladstone Regional Council area
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more male resident workers technicians and trades workers in Gladstone Regional Council area than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of Gladstone Regional Council area's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Gladstone Regional Council area - Males||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Construction%||Number||%||Construction%||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||5,075||33.3||49.9||5,671||34.4||51.1||-596||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||504||3.3||0.1||380||2.3||--||+124||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||512||3.4||1.9||515||3.1||1.3||-3||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||3,036||19.9||15.6||3,461||21.0||16.8||-425||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||340||2.2||1.1||412||2.5||1.3||-72||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the male resident workers in Gladstone Regional Council area in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Technicians and Trades Workers (5,075 people or 33.3%)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (3,036 people or 19.9%)
- Labourers (2,181 people or 14.3%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 10,292 people in total or 67.5% of the male resident workers .
In comparison, Construction employed 49.9% in Technicians and Trades Workers; 15.6% in Machinery Operators And Drivers; and 20.6% in Labourers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the male resident workers of Gladstone Regional Council area and Construction were:
- A larger percentage of male resident workers employed as Professionals (9.4% compared to 2.2%)
- A larger percentage of male resident workers employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (19.9% compared to 15.6%)
- A smaller percentage of male resident workers employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (33.3% compared to 49.9%)
- A smaller percentage of male resident workers employed as Labourers (14.3% compared to 20.6%)
The number of people in the male resident workers ] in Gladstone Regional Council area decreased by 1,247 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the occupations of the male resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in Gladstone Regional Council area were for those employed as:
- Technicians and Trades Workers (-596 males)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (-425 males)
- Professionals (-172 males)
- Labourers (-133 males)