Gladstone Regional Council area
Local workers - Hours worked - Retail Trade
58.7% of Retail Trade local workers in Gladstone Regional Council area are employed part-time and 40.2% are employed full-time.
Hours Worked statistics shows the distribution of employment hours in Gladstone Regional Council area across each industry sector. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in a particular industry depend on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work in the industry;
- The demands of jobs in the industry and requirement to work overtime;
- The age and family responsibilities of people working in the industry; and
- The gender profile of workers in the industry (due to family commitments, females are often more likely to work part-time).
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers hours worked, 2016|
|Gladstone Regional Council area - Retail Trade||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||631||24.5||20.9||572||21.5||20.9||+59|
|16 hours - 24 hours||382||14.8||13.5||350||13.1||12.6||+32|
|25 hours - 34 hours||407||15.8||15.0||414||15.5||13.6||-7|
|35 hours - 39 hours||427||16.6||18.7||435||16.3||17.3||-8|
|41 hours - 48 hours||167||6.5||7.0||201||7.5||8.0||-34|
|49 hours or more||240||9.3||10.4||311||11.7||12.0||-71|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the Retail Trade workforce in Gladstone Regional Council area in 2016 compared to Queensland within Gladstone Regional Council area shows that there was a higher proportion who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion who worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 58.7% of the Retail Trade workforce worked part-time (34 hours or less) , and 40.2% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 52.3% and 46.6% respectively for Queensland within Gladstone Regional Council area.
The major differences between the hours worked by the Retail Trade workforce in Gladstone Regional Council area and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 1 hour - 15 hours (24.5% compared to 20.9%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 16 hours - 24 hours (14.8% compared to 13.5%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 35 hours - 39 hours (16.6% compared to 18.7%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 40 hours (7.8% compared to 10.5%)
The largest changes in the hours worked by the Retail Trade workforce in Gladstone Regional Council area between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-71 local workers)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+59 local workers)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-34 local workers)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+32 local workers)