City of Glen Eira
Resident workers - Hours worked
45.4% of the resident workers in the City of Glen Eira work 40 or more hours, compared to 42.4% in Victoria.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the City of Glen Eira's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the City of Glen Eira depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Glen Eira||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||8,559||12.3||12.0||7,795||11.8||11.4||+764||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||7,606||10.9||10.5||6,790||10.3||9.7||+816||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||7,603||10.9||11.2||6,732||10.2||10.1||+871||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||11,230||16.1||18.7||10,194||15.4||17.6||+1,036||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||6,798||9.8||9.2||6,939||10.5||10.2||-141||22007|
|49 hours or more||10,330||14.8||13.7||10,473||15.9||15.2||-143||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Glen Eira's resident workers in 2016 compared to Victoria shows that there was a similar proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) as well as a similar proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 36.9% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 61.6% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 37.0% and 61.1% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of the City of Glen Eira and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (20.8% compared to 19.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (14.8% compared to 13.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (16.1% compared to 18.7%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Glen Eira increased by 1,727 people (4.2%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in the City of Glen Eira between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+1,036 people)
- 40 hours (+975 people)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+871 people)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+816 people)