Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for City of Glen Eira's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in City of Glen Eira depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Glen Eira - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||8,559||12.3||12.0||7,795||11.8||11.4||+764|
|16 hours - 24 hours||7,606||10.9||10.5||6,790||10.3||9.7||+816|
|25 hours - 34 hours||7,603||10.9||11.2||6,732||10.2||10.1||+871|
|35 hours - 39 hours||11,230||16.1||18.7||10,194||15.4||17.6||+1,036|
|41 hours - 48 hours||6,798||9.8||9.2||6,939||10.5||10.2||-141|
|49 hours or more||10,330||14.8||13.7||10,473||15.9||15.2||-143|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Glen Eira's resident workers in 2016 compared to Victoria shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 36.9% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 61.6% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 37.0% and 61.1% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of the City of Glen Eira and Victoria were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (16.1% compared to 18.7%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (20.8% compared to 19.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (9.8% compared to 9.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (14.8% compared to 13.7%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Glen Eira increased by 1727 people (4.2%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in the City of Glen Eira between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+1,036 persons)
- 40 hours (+975 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+871 persons)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+816 persons)