Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers managers in Glenelg Shire than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of Glenelg Shire's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||1,199||14.4||13.1||1,379||15.7||13.9||-180||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||885||10.7||10.6||823||9.3||9.3||+62||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||799||9.6||13.3||856||9.7||14.4||-57||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||1,024||12.3||5.8||953||10.8||6.1||+71||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||151||1.8||1.7||207||2.4||2.2||-56||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in Glenelg Shire in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Managers (1,304 people or 15.7%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (1,199 people or 14.4%)
- Labourers (1,152 people or 13.9%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 3,655 people in total or 44.0% of the resident workers .
In comparison, Victoria employed 13.5% in Managers; 13.1% in Technicians and Trades Workers; and 9.0% in Labourers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers of Glenelg Shire and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (12.3% compared to 5.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers employed as Labourers (13.9% compared to 9.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers employed as Professionals (13.4% compared to 23.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (9.6% compared to 13.3%)
The number of people in the resident workers ] in Glenelg Shire decreased by 500 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in Glenelg Shire were for those employed as:
- Technicians and Trades Workers (-180 people)
- Managers (-176 people)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (+71 people)
- Professionals (-67 people)