Grow South East (South East Metropolitan Region)
About the area
ABS ERP 2017
The City of Canning is named after the Canning River, which was named after George Canning, former Prime Minister of Great Britain.
Location and boundaries
The City of Canning is located in Perth's south-eastern suburbs, about 10 kilometres from the Perth CBD. The City of Canning is bounded by the Town of Victoria Park and the City of Belmont in the north, the City of Kalamunda and the City of Gosnells in the east, the City of Cockburn in the south, and the City of Melville, the Canning River and the City of South Perth in the west.
The City of Canning includes the suburbs of Bentley (part), Canning Vale (part), Cannington, East Cannington, Ferndale, Leeming (part), Lynwood, Parkwood, Queens Park, Riverton, Rossmoyne, Shelley, St James (part), Welshpool (part), Willetton and Wilson.
The City of Canning is a growing residential area, with some industrial and commercial areas. The City encompasses a total land area of about 65 square kilometres, including significant river foreshore areas and parklands.
The City of Canning is served by the Albany Highway, the Leach Highway, the Roe Highway and the Armadale and Thornlie railway lines.
European settlement dates from 1829, with land used mainly for farming, market gardening and timber milling. Population was minimal until the 1870s, with settlement mainly along the Albany Road. Some growth took place from the late 1800s into the early 1900s, spurred by the opening of the South Western railway in 1893. Rapid residential development occurred from the post-war years, particularly from the late 1960s into the late 1980s. The population of the City increased from about 24,000 in 1966 to 43,000 in 1976, and then to nearly 61,000 in 1986. Growth continued from the 1990s, with the population rising from about 66,000 in 1991 to 73,000 in 2001, and then to 84,000 in 2011.
The original inhabitants of the Canning area were the Beeloo Nyungar Aboriginal people.