Grow South East (South East Metropolitan Region)
About the area
ABS ERP 2018
Education and Training
Victoria Park is named after an estate in the area in the 1890s, which was thought to be named after Queen Victoria.
Location and boundaries
The Town of Victoria Park is located immediately south-east of Perth, about 5 kilometres from the Perth GPO. The Town of Victoria Park is bounded by the Swan River in the north-west and north, the City of Belmont in the north-east, the City of Canning in the south-east, and the City of South Perth in the south-west.
The Town of Victoria Park encompasses the suburbs of Bentley (part), Burswood, Carlisle, East Victoria Park, Kensington (part), Lathlain, St James (part), Victoria Park and Welshpool (part).
The Town of Victoria Park is largely residential, with some educational, commercial and industrial areas. The Town encompasses a total land area of about 18 square kilometres.
The Town of Victoria Park is served by the Graham Farmer Freeway, the Albany Highway, the Canning Highway, the Great Eastern Highway, Shepperton Road and the Armadale-Thornlie railway line.
European settlement dates from 1829 when the first land grants were made. Population was minimal until the late 1800s when the railway line was opened. Growth took place from the 1890s into the 1920s. Significant development did not occur until the post-war years, with rapid growth during the late 1950s and 1960s. The population increased gradually from the early 1990s, rising from about 24,000 in 1991 to over 32,000 in 2011, with the most rapid growth between 2006 and 2011.
The original inhabitants of the Victoria Park area were the Beeloo Aboriginal people.