City of Kalamunda
Employment by industry (FTE)
In City of Kalamunda, Transport, Postal and Warehousing is the largest employer, generating 2,637 FTE jobs in 2017/18.
Full-time equivalent (FTE) employment is modelled by NIEIR and takes into account differences in hours worked between industry sectors. It is a measure that allows direct comparison of employment between industries in City of Kalamunda.
Typically, industries such as Retail Trade and Accommodation and Food Services, which employ many part-time workers, have lower FTE employment than total employment.
FTE employment is calculated directly by dividing the total hours worked in each industry by 38. By comparing the number of full-time equivalent jobs in each industry sector to a regional benchmark, you can clearly see the structure of Grow South East (South East Metropolitan Region)'s economy. This can be done by directly comparing the area to its benchmark, or by using a location quotient to look at the relative size of industries.
FTE employment should be viewed in conjunction with Employment by industry (Total) and Employment by industry (Census), for a full understanding of the industry breakdown in the area. Worker productivity data shows the value of a worker in each industry to the local economy. Employment locations shows where employment is taking place in each industry sector.
NOTE: FTE employment is derived from Census data but has been corrected for the known undercount of employment in the Census. Detailed notes about how the figures are derived can be found in the specific topic notes section.
National Economics (NIEIR) - Modelled series
|Full-time equivalent employment by industry sector|
|City of Kalamunda||2017/18||2012/13||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Greater Perth%||Number||%||Greater Perth%||2012/13 to 2017/18|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||334||2.3||1.0||344||2.3||0.8||-10||23000||P|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||215||1.5||1.6||193||1.3||1.8||+21||23300||P|
|Accommodation and Food Services||804||5.6||5.8||620||4.2||4.7||+184||23700||P|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||2,637||18.3||5.7||3,029||20.6||5.8||-391||23800||P|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||93||0.6||1.2||55||0.4||1.3||+38||23900||P|
|Financial and Insurance Services||298||2.1||2.8||213||1.4||3.0||+85||24000||P|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||320||2.2||1.8||332||2.3||2.2||-12||24100||P|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||468||3.3||8.4||502||3.4||9.6||-33||24200||P|
|Administrative and Support Services||335||2.3||3.1||372||2.5||3.4||-37||24300||P|
|Public Administration and Safety||507||3.5||6.7||459||3.1||6.4||+48||24400||P|
|Education and Training||1,462||10.2||8.3||1,170||7.9||7.4||+293||24500||P|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||1,078||7.5||11.6||903||6.1||10.0||+175||24600||P|
|Arts and Recreation Services||179||1.2||1.8||119||0.8||1.5||+61||24700||P|
Source: National Institute of Economic and Industry Research (NIEIR) (opens a new window) ©2018. Compiled and presented in economy.id by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
NIEIR-ID data are adjusted each year, using updated employment estimates. Each release may change previous years’ figures.Learn more
An analysis of the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers in City of Kalamunda in 2017/18 shows the three largest industries were:
- Transport, Postal and Warehousing (2,637 full-time equivalent local workers or 18.3%)
- Construction (1,867 full-time equivalent local workers or 13.0%)
- Education and Training (1,462 full-time equivalent local workers or 10.2%)
In combination these three industries accounted for 5,967 people in total or 41.5% of local workers.
In comparison, Greater Perth employed 5.7% in Transport, Postal and Warehousing; 11.8% in Construction; and 8.3% in Education and Training.
The major differences between the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers of City of Kalamunda and Greater Perth were:
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Transport, Postal and Warehousing (18.3% compared to 5.7%)
- A smaller percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (3.3% compared to 8.4%)
- A smaller percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (7.5% compared to 11.6%)
- A smaller percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Public Administration and Safety (3.5% compared to 6.7%)
The number of local workers in the full-time equivalent work in City of Kalamunda decreased by 354 between 2012/13 and 2017/18.
The largest changes in the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers between 2012/13 and 2017/18 in City of Kalamunda were for those employed in:
- Manufacturing (-492 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Transport, Postal and Warehousing (-391 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Education and Training (+293 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Retail Trade (-198 full-time equivalent local workers)