There are more resident workers (All industries) qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies in the City of Armadale than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among the City of Armadale's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in the City of Armadale or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of the City of Armadale, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|City of Armadale - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Western Australia||Number||%||Western Australia||2011 - 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||694||1.9||2.5||455||1.5||2.3||+239|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||5,581||15.4||14.1||4,239||14.2||13.8||+1,342|
|Architecture and Building||1,378||3.8||4.3||1,106||3.7||4.1||+272|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||460||1.3||1.6||366||1.2||1.5||+94|
|Management and Commerce||4,380||12.1||13.0||2,799||9.4||11.4||+1,581|
|Society and Culture||2,560||7.1||7.3||1,790||6.0||6.2||+770|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||1,381||3.8||3.7||1,017||3.4||3.4||+364|
|Mixed Field Programmes||32||0.1||0.1||20||0.1||0.1||+12|
|Not stated or inadequately described||873||2.4||2.5||1,055||3.5||3.2||-182|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the field of qualifications in the City of Armadale shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (All industries) were qualified in were:
- Engineering and Related Technologies (5,581 people or 15.4%)
- Management and Commerce (4,380 people or 12.1%)
- Society and Culture (2,560 people or 7.1%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 12,521 people in total or 34.5% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, Western Australia employed 14.1% in Engineering and Related Technologies; 13.0% in Management and Commerce and 7.3% in Society and Culture.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers () of the City of Armadale and Western Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies (15.4% compared to 14.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Management and Commerce (12.1% compared to 13.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Education (4.9% compared to 5.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Health (6.7% compared to 7.5%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the City of Armadale increased by 6,537 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (All industries) between 2011 and 2016 in the City of Armadale was for those qualified in:
- Management and Commerce (+1,581 resident workers)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (+1,342 resident workers)
- Health (+962 resident workers)
- Society and Culture (+770 resident workers)