City of Canning
Resident workers - Hours worked
38.4% of the resident workers in City of Canning work 40 or more hours, compared to 44.6% in Western Australia.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for City of Canning's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in City of Canning depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Canning||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Western Australia%||Number||%||Western Australia%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||5,834||13.8||11.9||5,345||12.4||10.8||+489||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||5,175||12.3||9.9||4,593||10.7||9.2||+582||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||4,584||10.9||10.7||4,054||9.4||9.5||+530||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||8,264||19.6||17.2||7,953||18.5||15.8||+311||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||3,484||8.3||9.5||4,431||10.3||10.9||-947||22007|
|49 hours or more||4,961||11.8||17.3||6,065||14.1||19.6||-1,104||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by City of Canning's resident workers in 2016 compared to Western Australia shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 40.3% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 58.1% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 36.5% and 61.8% respectively for Western Australia.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of City of Canning and Western Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (19.6% compared to 17.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (12.3% compared to 9.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (13.8% compared to 11.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (11.8% compared to 17.3%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in City of Canning decreased by 2,030 people (7.7%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in City of Canning between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-1,104 people)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-947 people)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+582 people)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+530 people)