Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale
Resident workers - Hours worked
46.8% of the resident workers in Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale work 40 or more hours, compared to 44.6% in Western Australia.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Western Australia%||Number||%||Western Australia%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||1,330||10.3||11.9||907||10.3||10.8||+423||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||1,154||9.0||9.9||808||9.2||9.2||+346||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||1,388||10.8||10.7||911||10.3||9.5||+477||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||2,298||17.9||17.2||1,285||14.6||15.8||+1,013||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||1,286||10.0||9.5||953||10.8||10.9||+333||22007|
|49 hours or more||2,383||18.5||17.3||1,837||20.9||19.6||+546||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale's resident workers in 2016 compared to Western Australia shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 34.0% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 64.6% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 36.5% and 61.8% respectively for Western Australia.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale and Western Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (18.5% compared to 17.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (10.3% compared to 11.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (9.0% compared to 9.9%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale increased by 2,756 people (49.6%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+1,013 people)
- 40 hours (+864 people)
- 49 hours or more (+546 people)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+477 people)