Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers (All industries) Technicians and Trades Workers in the Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of the Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Western Australia||Number||%||Western Australia||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||2,706||21.0||16.2||1,907||21.6||16.7||+799|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||1,350||10.5||10.6||778||8.8||9.4||+572|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||1,833||14.2||13.0||1,388||15.7||14.4||+445|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||1,520||11.8||7.5||973||11.0||7.6||+547|
|Inadequately described or not stated||200||1.6||1.7||136||1.5||1.5||+64|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in the Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Technicians and Trades Workers (2,706 people or 21.0%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (1,833 people or 14.2%)
- Professionals (1,543 people or 12.0%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 6,082 people in total or 47.3% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, Western Australia employed 16.2% in Technicians and Trades Workers; 13.0% in Clerical and Administrative Workers and 20.5% in Professionals.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of the Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale and Western Australia were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (12.0% compared to 20.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (21.0% compared to 16.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (11.8% compared to 7.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Managers (10.2% compared to 12.0%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale increased by 4,048 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale were those employed as:
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+799 persons)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+572 persons)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (+547 persons)
- Professionals (+509 persons)