City of Armadale
Resident workers - Qualifications
60.6% of the resident workers in City of Armadale have qualifications, compared to 62.9% for Financial and Insurance Services.
Education is an essential means of building the knowledge and skill levels of the labour force, which is a key factor in achieving future economic and social development.
The level of educational attainment for City of Armadale's resident workforce relates to a number of factors including:
- The age structure of the resident workforce;
- The professional or social ambitions of people to obtain qualifications (that is, to seek education and retraining);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling, and;
- The knowledge and skill requirements of the local industries.
Qualification should be looked at in conjunction with Income, Occupation and Field of qualification for a clearer picture of the knowledge and skill level of Grow South East (South East Metropolitan Region)'s local resident workers.
When comparing the Qualifications of local resident worker with local workers, Qualifications statistics indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers qualifications|
|City of Armadale||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Financial and Insurance Services%||Number||%||Financial and Insurance Services%||2011 to 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||7,566||20.9||29.5||4,153||14.0||16.3||+3,413||25001|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||4,093||11.3||16.4||2,644||8.9||15.9||+1,449||25002|
|Certificate I and II Level||580||1.6||0.7||493||1.7||2.9||+87||25005|
|Certificate III & IV Level||8,911||24.6||13.6||7,499||25.2||14.1||+1,412||25006|
|Certificate Level, nfd||840||2.3||2.7||576||1.9||3.7||+264||25007|
|Inadequately described or not stated||964||2.7||2.7||1,127||3.8||3.5||-163||25009|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the qualifications of the resident workers in City of Armadale in 2016 compared to Financial and Insurance Services shows that there was a lower proportion of people holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a higher proportion of people with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 60.6% of the resident workers held educational qualifications, and 36.7% had no qualifications, compared with 62.9% and 34.3% respectively for Financial and Insurance Services.
The major differences between qualifications held by the resident workers of City of Armadale and Financial and Insurance Services were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers with Certificate III & IV Levels (24.6% compared to 13.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers with No qualifications (36.7% compared to 34.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers with Bachelor or Higher degrees (20.9% compared to 29.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers with Advanced Diploma or Diplomas (11.3% compared to 16.4%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the resident workers in City of Armadale between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degrees (+3,413 people )
- Advanced Diploma or Diplomas (+1,449 people )
- Certificate III & IV Levels (+1,412 people )
- Certificate Level, nfds (+264 people )