City of Gosnells
Resident workers - Qualifications
37.0% of the resident workers in City of Gosnells have qualifications, compared to 41.8% for Western Australia.
Education is an essential means of building the knowledge and skill levels of the labour force, which is a key factor in achieving future economic and social development.
The level of educational attainment for City of Gosnells's resident workforce relates to a number of factors including:
- The age structure of the resident workforce;
- The professional or social ambitions of people to obtain qualifications (that is, to seek education and retraining);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling, and;
- The knowledge and skill requirements of the local industries.
Qualification should be looked at in conjunction with Income, Occupation and Field of qualification for a clearer picture of the knowledge and skill level of Grow South East (South East Metropolitan Region)'s local resident workers.
When comparing the Qualifications of local resident worker with local workers, Qualifications statistics indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers qualifications|
|City of Gosnells||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Western Australia%||Number||%||Western Australia%||2011 to 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||12,163||23.0||27.5||8,412||16.5||23.3||+3,751||25001|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||5,558||10.5||10.8||4,765||9.3||9.8||+793||25002|
|Certificate I and II Level||773||1.5||1.4||794||1.6||1.4||-21||25005|
|Certificate III & IV Level||11,210||21.2||21.6||11,603||22.7||20.9||-393||25006|
|Certificate Level, nfd||1,108||2.1||2.1||957||1.9||1.7||+151||25007|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,596||3.0||2.8||1,878||3.7||4.0||-282||25009|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the qualifications of the resident workers in City of Gosnells in 2016 compared to Western Australia shows that there was a lower proportion of people holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a higher proportion of people with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 37.0% of the resident workers held educational qualifications, and 38.8% had no qualifications, compared with 41.8% and 33.7% respectively for Western Australia.
The major differences between qualifications held by the resident workers of City of Gosnells and Western Australia were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers with No qualifications (38.8% compared to 33.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers with Bachelor or Higher degrees (23.0% compared to 27.5%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the resident workers in City of Gosnells between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degrees (+3,751 people )
- No qualifications (-2,150 people )
- Advanced Diploma or Diplomas (+793 people )
- Certificate III & IV Levels (-393 people )