Resident workers - Field of qualification
There are more resident workers qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies in the Gunnedah Shire than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among the Gunnedah Shire's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in the Gunnedah Shire or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of the Gunnedah Shire, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Accommodation and Food Services%||Number||%||Accommodation and Food Services%||2011 to 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||47||0.9||0.0||50||1.0||0.0||-3||30000||P|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||805||14.9||2.5||671||12.8||3.3||+134||50000||P|
|Architecture and Building||149||2.8||0.0||127||2.4||1.1||+22||60000||P|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||237||4.4||1.1||240||4.6||0.8||-3||70000||P|
|Management and Commerce||547||10.2||6.1||444||8.5||5.8||+103||91000||P|
|Society and Culture||339||6.3||5.8||236||4.5||3.3||+103||92000||P|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||173||3.2||7.2||161||3.1||8.1||+12||94000||P|
|Mixed Field Programmes||3||0.1||0.0||0||0.0||0.0||+3||95000||P|
|Not stated or inadequately described||226||4.2||5.5||201||3.8||3.1||+25||96000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the field of qualifications in the Gunnedah Shire shows that the three largest fields the resident workers were qualified in were:
- Engineering and Related Technologies (805 people or 14.9%)
- Management and Commerce (547 people or 10.2%)
- Health (341 people or 6.3%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 1,693 people in total or 31.4% of the resident workers .
In comparison, Accommodation and Food Services employed 2.5% in Engineering and Related Technologies; 6.1% in Management and Commerce; and 2.5% in Health.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers of the Gunnedah Shire and Accommodation and Food Services were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies (14.9% compared to 2.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers qualified in Education (6.0% compared to 0.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers qualified in Management and Commerce (10.2% compared to 6.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers qualified in Food, Hospitality and Personal Services (3.2% compared to 7.2%)
The number of resident workers in the Gunnedah Shire increased by 152 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the Gunnedah Shire were for those qualified in:
- Engineering and Related Technologies (+134 people)
- Management and Commerce (+103 people)
- Society and Culture (+103 people)