There are more resident workers (Information Media and Telecommunications) qualified in Management and Commerce in the Gunnedah Shire than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among the Gunnedah Shire's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in the Gunnedah Shire or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of the Gunnedah Shire, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|Gunnedah Shire - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||0||0||1.8||0||0||1.8||--|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||0||0||13.1||3||13.6||12.2||-3|
|Architecture and Building||0||0||0.7||0||0||0.7||--|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||0||0||0.4||0||0||0.4||--|
|Management and Commerce||7||25.9||19.4||3||13.6||17.7||+4|
|Society and Culture||3||11.1||8.3||0||0||8.5||+3|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||0||0||1.1||0||0||1.2||--|
|Mixed Field Programmes||0||0||0.0||0||0||0.0||--|
|Not stated or inadequately described||0||0||2.8||3||13.6||3.2||-3|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the field of qualifications in the Gunnedah Shire shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (Information Media and Telecommunications) were qualified in were:
- Management and Commerce (7 people or 25.9%)
- Creative Arts (6 people or 22.2%)
- Society and Culture (3 people or 11.1%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 16 people in total or 59.3% of the resident workers (Information Media and Telecommunications).
In comparison, New South Wales employed 19.4% in Management and Commerce; 17.2% in Creative Arts and 8.3% in Society and Culture.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (Information Media and Telecommunications) of the Gunnedah Shire and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Information Media and Telecommunications) qualified in Management and Commerce (25.9% compared to 19.4%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Information Media and Telecommunications) qualified in Creative Arts (22.2% compared to 17.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Information Media and Telecommunications) qualified in Society and Culture (11.1% compared to 8.3%)
The number of resident workers (Information Media and Telecommunications) in the Gunnedah Shire increased by 5 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (Information Media and Telecommunications) between 2011 and 2016 in the Gunnedah Shire was for those qualified in:
- Management and Commerce (+4 resident workers)
- Society and Culture (+3 resident workers)
- Creative Arts (+3 resident workers)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (-3 resident workers)