There are more resident workers (Administrative and Support Services) qualified in Management and Commerce in the Gunnedah Shire than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among the Gunnedah Shire's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in the Gunnedah Shire or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of the Gunnedah Shire, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|Gunnedah Shire - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||5||3.5||1.3||0||0||1.2||+5|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||12||8.5||7.0||9||7.7||6.7||+3|
|Architecture and Building||0||0||1.9||3||2.6||1.7||-3|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||9||6.3||3.4||7||6.0||3.5||+2|
|Management and Commerce||18||12.7||22.7||14||12.0||21.9||+4|
|Society and Culture||16||11.3||7.7||8||6.8||6.8||+8|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||0||0||3.1||0||0||3.0||--|
|Mixed Field Programmes||0||0||0.2||0||0||0.1||--|
|Not stated or inadequately described||4||2.8||2.8||7||6.0||3.7||-3|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the field of qualifications in the Gunnedah Shire shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (Administrative and Support Services) were qualified in were:
- Management and Commerce (18 people or 12.7%)
- Society and Culture (16 people or 11.3%)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (12 people or 8.5%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 46 people in total or 32.4% of the resident workers (Administrative and Support Services).
In comparison, New South Wales employed 22.7% in Management and Commerce; 7.7% in Society and Culture and 7.0% in Engineering and Related Technologies.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (Administrative and Support Services) of the Gunnedah Shire and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Administrative and Support Services) qualified in Management and Commerce (12.7% compared to 22.7%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Administrative and Support Services) qualified in Society and Culture (11.3% compared to 7.7%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Administrative and Support Services) qualified in Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies (6.3% compared to 3.4%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Administrative and Support Services) qualified in Natural and Physical Sciences (3.5% compared to 1.3%)
The number of resident workers (Administrative and Support Services) in the Gunnedah Shire increased by 25 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (Administrative and Support Services) between 2011 and 2016 in the Gunnedah Shire was for those qualified in:
- Society and Culture (+8 resident workers)
- Natural and Physical Sciences (+5 resident workers)
- Health (+4 resident workers)
- Management and Commerce (+4 resident workers)