Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Gunnedah Shire's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Gunnedah Shire depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Gunnedah Shire Council - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||567||10.5||10.8||563||10.8||10.4||+4|
|16 hours - 24 hours||442||8.2||10.4||484||9.3||9.7||-42|
|25 hours - 34 hours||578||10.8||10.5||550||10.5||9.8||+28|
|35 hours - 39 hours||833||15.5||19.1||717||13.7||18.2||+116|
|41 hours - 48 hours||505||9.4||9.1||508||9.7||10.0||-3|
|49 hours or more||1,340||24.9||14.9||1,360||26.0||16.4||-20|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by Gunnedah Shire's resident workers in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 33.3% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 64.5% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 34.9% and 63.1% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of Gunnedah Shire and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (8.2% compared to 10.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (15.5% compared to 19.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (14.7% compared to 20.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (24.9% compared to 14.9%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Gunnedah Shire increased by 138 people (4.1%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in Gunnedah Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+116 persons)
- 40 hours (+45 persons)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (-42 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+28 persons)