Resident workers - Hours worked
59.3% of the resident workers (Construction) in the Gunnedah Shire work 40 or more hours, compared to 59.0% in Manufacturing.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the Gunnedah Shire's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the Gunnedah Shire depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Manufacturing%||Number||%||Manufacturing%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||12||4.5||2.7||21||7.7||2.7||-9||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||11||4.1||1.6||13||4.8||5.2||-2||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||32||11.9||6.3||16||5.9||7.1||+16||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||42||15.7||27.0||26||9.6||22.4||+16||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||25||9.3||17.2||32||11.8||17.2||-7||22007|
|49 hours or more||73||27.2||19.9||99||36.5||19.9||-26||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the Gunnedah Shire's resident workers (Construction) in 2016 compared to Manufacturing shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 23.9% of the resident workers (Construction) worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 75.0% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 14.1% and 85.9% respectively for Manufacturing.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (Construction) of the Gunnedah Shire and Manufacturing were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Construction) worked 49 hours or more (27.2% compared to 19.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Construction) worked 25 hours - 34 hours (11.9% compared to 6.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Construction) worked 35 hours - 39 hours (15.7% compared to 27.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Construction) worked 41 hours - 48 hours (9.3% compared to 17.2%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers (Construction) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the Gunnedah Shire decreased by 4 people (2.0%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (Construction) in the Gunnedah Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-26 people)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+16 people)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+16 people)
- 40 hours (+13 people)