Resident workers - Hours worked
49.1% of the resident workers in the Gunnedah Shire work 40 or more hours, compared to 27.2% in Health Care and Social Assistance.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the Gunnedah Shire's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the Gunnedah Shire depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Health Care and Social Assistance%||Number||%||Health Care and Social Assistance%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||567||10.5||10.0||563||10.8||9.2||+4||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||442||8.2||17.0||484||9.3||14.3||-42||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||578||10.8||20.3||550||10.5||23.0||+28||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||833||15.5||18.1||717||13.7||16.9||+116||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||505||9.4||4.6||508||9.7||4.9||-3||22007|
|49 hours or more||1,340||24.9||6.9||1,360||26.0||11.2||-20||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the Gunnedah Shire's resident workers in 2016 compared to Health Care and Social Assistance shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 33.3% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 64.5% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 52.2% and 45.3% respectively for Health Care and Social Assistance.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of the Gunnedah Shire and Health Care and Social Assistance were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (24.9% compared to 6.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (9.4% compared to 4.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (10.8% compared to 20.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (8.2% compared to 17.0%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in the Gunnedah Shire increased by 138 people (4.1%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in the Gunnedah Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+116 people)
- 40 hours (+45 people)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (-42 people)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+28 people)