Resident workers - Hours worked
82.1% of the resident workers (Mining) in the Gunnedah Shire work 40 or more hours, compared to 37.2% in Public Administration and Safety.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the Gunnedah Shire's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the Gunnedah Shire depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Public Administration and Safety%||Number||%||Public Administration and Safety%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||14||1.9||5.1||4||1.0||5.5||+10||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||8||1.1||6.4||8||2.0||9.4||0||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||22||3.0||7.7||12||3.0||9.0||+10||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||46||6.3||40.6||18||4.5||36.5||+28||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||115||15.7||12.0||60||14.9||9.0||+55||22007|
|49 hours or more||408||55.7||8.1||232||57.4||7.8||+176||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the Gunnedah Shire's resident workers (Mining) in 2016 compared to Public Administration and Safety shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 10.1% of the resident workers (Mining) worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 88.4% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 22.2% and 77.8% respectively for Public Administration and Safety.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (Mining) of the Gunnedah Shire and Public Administration and Safety were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Mining) worked 49 hours or more (55.7% compared to 8.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Mining) worked 35 hours - 39 hours (6.3% compared to 40.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Mining) worked 40 hours (10.8% compared to 17.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Mining) worked 16 hours - 24 hours (1.1% compared to 6.4%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers (Mining) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the Gunnedah Shire increased by 290 people (81.0%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (Mining) in the Gunnedah Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (+176 people)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (+55 people)
- 40 hours (+31 people)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+28 people)