61.9% of the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) in the Gunnedah Shire work 40 or more hours, compared to 37.2% in Public Administration and Safety.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Gunnedah Shire's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Gunnedah Shire depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Gunnedah Shire Council - Wholesale Trade||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Public Administration and Safety%||Number||%||Public Administration and Safety%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||11||7.1||5.1||11||8.3||5.5||--|
|16 hours - 24 hours||3||1.9||6.4||16||12.0||9.4||-13|
|25 hours - 34 hours||13||8.4||7.7||7||5.3||9.0||+6|
|35 hours - 39 hours||28||18.1||40.6||13||9.8||36.5||+15|
|41 hours - 48 hours||25||16.1||12.0||18||13.5||9.0||+7|
|49 hours or more||42||27.1||8.1||40||30.1||7.8||+2|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the Gunnedah Shire's resident workers in 2016 compared to Public Administration and Safety shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 20.0% of the resident workers in Wholesale Trade worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 80.0% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 22.2% and 77.8% respectively for Public Administration and Safety.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) of the Gunnedah Shire and the Public Administration and Safety workforce were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (1.9% compared to 6.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (18.1% compared to 40.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (16.1% compared to 12.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (27.1% compared to 8.1%)
The number of the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the Gunnedah Shire increased by 28 people (29.2%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (Wholesale Trade) in the Gunnedah Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+15 persons)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (-13 persons)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (+7 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+6 persons)