Resident workers - Hours worked
29.6% of the resident workers (Retail Trade) in the Gunnedah Shire work 40 or more hours, compared to 29.6% in New South Wales.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the Gunnedah Shire's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the Gunnedah Shire depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||87||20.6||19.9||113||21.9||20.1||-26||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||44||10.4||14.9||66||12.8||13.8||-22||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||70||16.5||13.2||84||16.2||12.2||-14||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||70||16.5||18.0||73||14.1||16.5||-3||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||28||6.6||6.8||43||8.3||7.6||-15||22007|
|49 hours or more||48||11.3||10.0||55||10.6||11.8||-7||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the Gunnedah Shire's resident workers (Retail Trade) in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 53.9% of the resident workers (Retail Trade) worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 46.1% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 51.2% and 47.7% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (Retail Trade) of the Gunnedah Shire and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Retail Trade) worked 25 hours - 34 hours (16.5% compared to 13.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Retail Trade) worked None (6.4% compared to 3.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Retail Trade) worked 16 hours - 24 hours (10.4% compared to 14.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Retail Trade) worked 35 hours - 39 hours (16.5% compared to 18.0%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers (Retail Trade) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the Gunnedah Shire decreased by 32 people (14.1%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (Retail Trade) in the Gunnedah Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 1 hour - 15 hours (-26 people)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (-22 people)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-15 people)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (-14 people)