Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers managers in the Gunnedah Shire than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of Gunnedah Shire's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Regional NSW%||Number||%||Regional NSW%||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||727||13.5||14.8||663||12.7||15.2||+64||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||495||9.2||11.9||467||8.9||10.7||+28||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||542||10.0||12.4||539||10.3||13.0||+3||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||781||14.5||7.1||650||12.5||7.6||+131||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||105||1.9||1.6||80||1.5||1.6||+25||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in Gunnedah Shire in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Managers (908 people or 16.8%)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (781 people or 14.5%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (727 people or 13.5%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 2,416 people in total or 44.8% of the resident workers .
In comparison, Regional NSW employed 13.0% in Managers; 7.1% in Machinery Operators And Drivers; and 14.8% in Technicians and Trades Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers of the Gunnedah Shire and Regional NSW were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (14.5% compared to 7.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers employed as Managers (16.8% compared to 13.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers employed as Professionals (13.3% compared to 18.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (9.2% compared to 11.9%)
The number of people in the resident workers ] in Gunnedah Shire increased by 174 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the Gunnedah Shire were for those employed as:
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (+131 people)
- Managers (-98 people)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+64 people)
- Professionals (+58 people)