There are more resident workers (All industries) Managers in the Gunnedah Shire than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of the Gunnedah Shire's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Administrative and Support Services||Number||%||Administrative and Support Services||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||727||13.5||6.7||663||12.7||6.7||+64|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||495||9.2||8.1||467||8.9||0||+28|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||542||10.0||20.0||539||10.3||10.1||+3|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||781||14.5||10.4||650||12.5||6.7||+131|
|Inadequately described or not stated||105||1.9||0||80||1.5||0||+25|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in the Gunnedah Shire in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Managers (908 people or 16.8%)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (781 people or 14.5%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (727 people or 13.5%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 2,416 people in total or 44.8% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, the Administrative and Support Services workforce in the Gunnedah Shire employed 3.7% in Managers; 10.4% in Machinery Operators And Drivers and 6.7% in Technicians and Trades Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of the Gunnedah Shire and Administrative and Support Services were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Labourers (12.8% compared to 45.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Managers (16.8% compared to 3.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (10.0% compared to 20.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (13.3% compared to 5.9%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the Gunnedah Shire increased by 174 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the Gunnedah Shire were those employed as:
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (+131 persons)
- Managers (-98 persons)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+64 persons)
- Professionals (+58 persons)