Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers (Construction) technicians and trades workers in the Gunnedah Shire than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of Gunnedah Shire's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||126||46.0||46.9||115||42.6||48.5||+11||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||--||--||0.2||5||1.9||0.2||--||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||22||8.0||9.7||22||8.1||10.5||0||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||52||19.0||7.1||46||17.0||7.0||+6||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||--||--||1.0||3||1.1||0.8||--||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers (Construction) in Gunnedah Shire in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Technicians and Trades Workers (126 people or 46.0%)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (52 people or 19.0%)
- Labourers (46 people or 16.8%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 224 people in total or 81.7% of the resident workers (Construction).
In comparison, New South Wales employed 46.9% in Technicians and Trades Workers; 7.1% in Machinery Operators And Drivers; and 15.8% in Labourers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (Construction) of the Gunnedah Shire and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Construction) employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (19.0% compared to 7.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Construction) employed as Managers (8.0% compared to 13.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Construction) employed as Professionals (2.2% compared to 4.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Construction) employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (8.0% compared to 9.7%)
The number of people in the resident workers (Construction)] in Gunnedah Shire increased by 4 between 2011 and 2016.
There were no major changes in the occupations of the resident workers (Construction) between 2011 and 2016 in the Gunnedah Shire.