Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers (Retail Trade) sales workers in the Gunnedah Shire than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of Gunnedah Shire's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||44||10.3||5.9||48||9.3||6.4||-4||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||--||--||1.0||4||0.8||1.0||--||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||29||6.8||6.3||32||6.2||7.2||-3||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||12||2.8||4.0||14||2.7||3.9||-2||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||--||--||0.6||3||0.6||0.8||--||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers (Retail Trade) in Gunnedah Shire in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Sales Workers (220 people or 51.5%)
- Managers (63 people or 14.8%)
- Labourers (47 people or 11.0%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 330 people in total or 77.3% of the resident workers (Retail Trade).
In comparison, New South Wales employed 53.5% in Sales Workers; 15.9% in Managers; and 7.4% in Labourers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (Retail Trade) of the Gunnedah Shire and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Retail Trade) employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (10.3% compared to 5.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (Retail Trade) employed as Labourers (11.0% compared to 7.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Retail Trade) employed as Professionals (2.8% compared to 5.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (Retail Trade) employed as Sales Workers (51.5% compared to 53.5%)
The number of people in the resident workers (Retail Trade)] in Gunnedah Shire decreased by 87 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers (Retail Trade) between 2011 and 2016 in the Gunnedah Shire was for those employed as:
- Sales Workers (-51 people)