There are more male resident workers (All industries) Machinery Operators And Drivers in the Gunnedah Shire than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of the Gunnedah Shire's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||612||20.7||20.4||558||19.2||21.0||+54|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||68||2.3||6.1||79||2.7||5.8||-11|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||60||2.0||6.5||83||2.9||6.8||-23|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||697||23.6||10.5||603||20.8||10.8||+94|
|Inadequately described or not stated||65||2.2||2.1||56||1.9||2.1||+9|
An analysis of the jobs held by the male resident workers in the Gunnedah Shire in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (697 people or 23.6%)
- Managers (615 people or 20.8%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (612 people or 20.7%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 1,924 people in total or 65.2% of the male resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, New South Wales employed 10.5% in Machinery Operators And Drivers; 16.1% in Managers and 20.4% in Technicians and Trades Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the male resident workers (All industries) of the Gunnedah Shire and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of male resident workers (All industries) employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (23.6% compared to 10.5%)
- A smaller percentage of male resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (8.0% compared to 20.4%)
- A larger percentage of male resident workers (All industries) employed as Managers (20.8% compared to 16.1%)
- A smaller percentage of male resident workers (All industries) employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (2.0% compared to 6.5%)
The number of male resident workers (All industries) in the Gunnedah Shire increased by 48 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the male resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the Gunnedah Shire were those employed as:
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (+94 males)
- Managers (-65 males)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+54 males)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (-23 males)