55.8% of the resident workers (All industries) in the Gunnedah Shire have qualifications, compared to 54.3% for Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services.
Education is an essential means of building the knowledge and skill levels of the labour force, which is a key factor in achieving future economic and social development.
The level of educational attainment for the Gunnedah Shire's resident workforce relates to a number of factors including:
- The age structure of the resident workforce;
- The professional or social ambitions of people to obtain qualifications (that is, to seek education and retraining);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling, and;
- The knowledge and skill requirements of the local industries.
Qualification should be looked at in conjunction with Income , Occupations and Field of qualification for a clearer picture of the knowledge and skill level of the Gunnedah Shire's local resident workers.
When comparing the Qualifications of local resident worker with local workers, Qualifications statistics indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers qualifications|
|Gunnedah Shire - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||Number||%||Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||828||15.4||12.9||646||12.3||9.5||+182|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||482||9.0||5.7||373||7.1||20.6||+109|
|Certificate I and II Level||99||1.8||5.7||117||2.2||0||-18|
|Certificate III & IV Level||1,439||26.8||25.7||1,301||24.8||14.3||+138|
|Certificate Level, nfd||154||2.9||4.3||106||2.0||0||+48|
|Inadequately described or not stated||240||4.5||7.1||260||5.0||11.1||-20|
Analysis of the qualifications of the resident workers (All industries) in the Gunnedah Shire in 2016 compared to Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services shows that there was a higher proportion of resident holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion of males with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 55.8% of the resident workers (All industries) held educational qualifications, and 39.7% had no qualifications, compared with 54.3% and 38.6% respectively for Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services.
The major differences between qualifications held by the resident workers (All industries) of the Gunnedah Shire and (Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services) were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) with Certificate I and II Level (1.8% compared to 5.7%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (9.0% compared to 5.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) with Inadequately described or not stated (4.5% compared to 7.1%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the resident workers (All industries) in the Gunnedah Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- No qualification (-298 persons)
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+182 persons)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+138 persons)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+109 persons)